Saturday 19 April 2014

My Research Project

Hello and welcome Positively Packwood People and apologies this blog is so late in coming. But
it is for a very good cause, every free minute of computer time for me this week has been spent on my latest research mission; more on that later.

So what's been going on this week at Packwood? Well I volunteered again last Sunday (almost a full week ago!) and was in rooms alone for the first time! Managed ok I think and had some lovely conversations with visitors. Even met another Greenhill 'Hello Chris!'.

We welcomed some more new volunteers to the Sunday team too which is super exciting *waves* I'm very much looking forward to working with such lovely ladies again this weekend.

It was great to see these little guys around the house too

I thought I'd enjoyed making them but I enjoyed the squeals of excitement as children found them even more. They along with their knitted and crocheted friends are all over the house for Easter and I have to say Packwood staff & volunteers are a frightfully talented crafty bunch! 

The Mission 


This beautiful piece of painted/stained glass is found in The Queen Margaret bedroom. It's my favourite piece in the whole house and I wanted to know a little more about it. It's a piece I often point out to visitors if they are looking out of the window and it's dated and monogrammed so I thought there was a chance the painter was 'known'.

Yes well there's a difference between known and easy to find as I soon discovered!

Being a piece of gothic style depicting a heraldic image I also took the opportunity to get my father in law involved (use your resources and all that!) Pete is an expert in heraldry, has a couple of books out on the subject and with Gilly my mother in law makes pewter figures from the battle of Agincourt. You can find more of their work here www.greenhillminitures.com.

I also wanted to know more about the painting techniques that mean to this day the colours remain so bright and well preserved.

Who painted it? Where is it from? Are there other works from the same artist? How was it produced?

Those were the questions I wanted answers to and my next blog will feature what I found...

This weekend is the big Easter weekend with Cadbury Easter egg trails and spring having most definitely sprung at Packwood! The energy of new beginnings that seems synonymous with spring is part of the very essence of Packwood and I can't think of anywhere better to be for Easter weekend.

Look forward to seeing you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment